Friday, May 30, 2008

I have something to say

For the first time in a few weeks, I actually have something I want to share! I've been thinking about this kind of thing for the past week or so, but it all keeps getting mixed up in my head. So if it makes no sense, don't worry. No one understands what I'm saying recently. Especially not people at uni, but I think that's because they think that they're too smart.

Yesterday in Foundation Studies at uni we started a new project called 'Project 4'. They're really inventive with the names of these assignments... Anyway, this project is based around a list of truisms used by Jenny Holzer in 1983. It's a huge list, so we only have to pick one, and we then have to base our project on it.

One that stood out to me the most said, 'People who do not work with their hands are parasites'. I would have thought it was near impossible not to work with your hands - you know? It's kind of an every day living thing. But then it became clear to me that for some people, it wasn't natural at all.

I also worked out that most people have a different opinion of what working with your hands really is. One girl defined filling her dishwasher as working with her hands... Which I guess is technically true, but the dishwasher is doing all the real work for you. You'd think working with your hands when it comes to dishes would be cleaning them yourself.

Having a dishwasher is a bit like having a maid. It does the work for you. There are people at uni who 'get a woman in' to clean their houses for them. There are others who have their mommy dearest do it for them, and in some cases daddy darling does it. When those kids move out they're going to find life pretty hard.

The most shocking thing I found out this week was that not everyone knows how to use a can opener! I was talking to one girl who had never opened a can in her life. And she's in her 20's.

Of course, this is just another rant of mine, but still... Oh, and did you know that I say the work 'rant' wrong? People keep telling me so =D

But anyway, I feel sick. And I've had a headache for the past week. If anyone knows how to make it go away, please do!

xx

1 comment:

Kris said...

Wish I could make it go away! I like the whole working with your hands thing Vs parasites. I bumped into Shirley on Monday and we were talking about that very thing. She gets just as amazed at people as you do! I always think of my diswasher as a woman who does the job for me. The washing machine too. I give them a little instruction and then they do the job for me. Not really do-it-yourself, is it?